Sunday, 30 August 2015

There's a reason why 'Sober' and 'So Bored' sound almost exactly the same.

One of the massive downsides of being a young person with arthritis is the fact that you can't drink spirits or get drunk thanks to everyone's best friend methotrexate.

Unfortunately, Leo is correct. Methotrexate is an aggressive drug used to treat some types of arthritis as well being used on those with leukaemia and other forms of cancer. It is knows as a DMARD, a disease-modifying anti- rheumatic drug. It dampens down the underlying disease process rather than just treating symptoms. However, methotrexate also reduces the activity of your immune system (your body’s defence system).The drug interferes with the growth of certain cells of the body, especially cells that reproduce quickly, such as cancer cells, bone marrow cells, and skin cells. It can lower blood cells that help your body fight infections and help your blood to clot. You may get an infection or bleed more easily. The reason you cannot drink spirits on the drug or drink excessively is because when the drug mixes with alcohol it can cause me to become jaundice and go into liver failure, to be honest I will give up the sauce if it means avoiding becoming the new character on The Simpsons.
I started taking methotrexate last week and today is my second dose and it will take months for me to see the benefits. On Wednesday it was my friend's 20th Birthday where she chose to have a 20 bar crawl which was pretty ambitious, even for my herd of alcoholics! My first time out not drinking and I knew it was going to be hard. It was actually fine, I  had as much fun as my other friends, still stayed out till 3 and didn't have a crazy hangover like the birthday girl. The only part I was pissed about was everyone constantly asking why I wasn't drinking and I hadn't really told anyone about being ill other than my family and close friends, and I'm not one to share personal details about myself with anyone let alone complete strangers.So I just kept saying that I was on medication, to which the response was usually 'Aw fuck that! I drink when I'm on antibiotics all the time'. No. That is not the same thing! There was one guy when we were at the club who had been drooling over my friend all night, constantly coming up to her telling her she looked like Kendal Jenner, of course a very flattering comment at first, but this swiftly became tiresome. Later on he came over with a drink that he claimed to have got me. I wouldn't have taken it anyway cause as a rule of thumb I don't accept drink that I haven't seen poured especially from a slimy douche goblin. When I politely said no and explained that I was on medications, he said 'What the fuck is wrong with you just accept the drink, Jesus'. I have only been on this medication for a week and already I am sick of having to explain myself.
Looking onward to bigger and better things, in a couple of days I'm off to Dublin for a well needed break from everything. At the end of the day it is important not to care about what others think.
A lion does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep.


No comments:

Post a Comment