Sunday, 13 September 2015

Still I rise.

A massive aspect of all of this is the fact that I can't drink spirits and I can't have more than a couple of beers on a night out, therefore I can't get drunk with my friends. Fortunately for me, I have discovered in the past few weeks that I don't  have as much of an issue with not drinking on a night out as I thought it would, I have pretty much the same amount of fun without the embarrassing escapades. I am fortunate enough to have some amazing friends who still want to go on nights out with me even though I am sober, there aren't a lot of 19/20 year old's who would want to hang around with someone who can't get trashed. I think that when things like this happen it makes you realise who your real friends are.
There is a poem I came across when I was angry and upset and it summed up exactly how I was feeling. It is great to have as a constant reminder, it is hard for me to explain why I find this poem so helpful but it is called 'Still I Rise' and it's super long so here are my favourite parts.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own backyard

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness
But still, like air, I'll rise.

As important as that poem is to me, it's a bit of a dark note to end on, so here is another arthritis                                                                            themed joke to end on.


No comments:

Post a Comment